Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Autobiography

I have begun writing my autobiography. I know I'm only 30, but I figure that I'll be able to remember far more now of my first 30 years of life, than when I'm 60 (or however old I am when I decide to finish it). I'm not revealing it or its contents until I'm gone from this life but I will share with you my three reasons for writing it. Here is an excerpt from the beginning:

"This autobiography serves at least three purposes, and may serve more that I do not know. Firstly, this account will be for the interest of my family and hopefully will be passed on from generation to generation. I am not hoping for publication. I desire that those who will pass on after me will have the opportunity to look into their own history through my eyes. I desire that they may gain understanding of themselves and some satisfaction in the knowledge of who I am. For to know someone, truly, is, I am coming to believe, the single greatest privilege we have as humans.

Secondly, this account is for the pleasure of God Almighty, who is writing all our histories into His grand tale to be unfolded at the end of all things. Mine is but a thread of wool among billions that will weave a pattern more deliberately intricate than we will ever imagine. May you glimpse the shadow of His image through the quill of His hand as He has written my tale.

Thirdly, and summed up best by the phrase: ‘Lest we forget.’ I have recently been perplexed and mildly alarmed at the lack of knowledge I have lost already in my family. The passing of my Papa Larson and Dan Krestinski and just a few other friends and acquaintances has made me acutely aware that with each death much is lost in wisdom and lore through the gift of life. I would think it a terrible tragedy if my family members did not have a better glimpse into at least one life they have known. It is also a tragedy, to me, to lose the knowledge of your own family history. Mine is a generation that remembers World War II, but only distantly because our grandparents fought in that great struggle. What will my children and theirs consider relevant when reading such history? Will we lose the lessons we’ve learned over time because of the passing of time?
We have the obligation and grand privilege of sharing our lives with others. That is our great lot which most are ignorant of or stingy with. So, even when I have left this body and am long retired from the earth, others may gain from my life. For life is not to be hoarded and shelved but intentionally and vigorously given.
"

May you also realize the significance of your own story. Share your life with others, for it is God's great gift to you to be given.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're onto something big there Tim, thanks for sharing your writing and your thoughts. It's funny because I would never consider myself as somebody to be remembered, somebody whose life would ignite interest in others... but I am completely fascinated by all of the information I can glean of family members who have passed, and it is usually slim pickings. The desire to know where and who we came from runs deep. To consciously, intentionally preserve ones life for future generations is, somewhat paradoxically, an unselfish task. After all, each one of our lives is completely meaningless on one hand and yet endowed with limitless meaning and mystery through God's grace on the other. To share our lives is to share that gift of grace.

    ReplyDelete