Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Serendipity

A thought by J. B. Phillips:

"Now John, in his wisdom, points out in inspired words, 'if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.' This is a gentle but salutary rebuke to our assumption that we know better than God! God, on any showing, is infinitely greater in wisdom and love than we and, unlike us, knows all the factors involved in human behavoir.
We are guilty of certain things, and these we must confess with all honesty, and make reparation where possible. But there may be many factors in our lives for which we are not really to blame at all. We did not choose our heredity; we did not choose the bad, indifferent, or excellent way in which we were brought up.
This is naturally not to say that every wrong thing we do, or every fear or rage to which we are subject today, is due entirely to heredity, environment, and upbringing. But it certainly does mean that we are in no position to judge ourselves; we simply must leave that to God, who is our Father and 'is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.' It is almost as if John is saying, 'If God loves us, who are we to be so high and mighty as to refuse to love ourselves?'"

Oh these words were good for me to read today. I have so often considered myself the authority on myself and have refused to love myself. I would even say that at one time I hated myself with a pure loathing of something corrupt. But Jesus in His rich mercy stripped away the filth that my eyes could only see and showed me that for which He died and loves. Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment