Thursday, November 30, 2006

Astronomy and space discovery

I was just reading my new edition of National Geographic (a fantastic magazine, I might add) which had a stunning article about Saturn, our solar system and certain discoveries and space missions we have sent into the dark about our planet earth.

I don't know why it is but these are some fascinating things happening! Does nobody know that we are sending machines that operate very well in space millions of miles away from our planet? They get them to return images and information to us about other planets we will never get any closer to.

In particular the Cassini spacecraft snapped a pile of images (including the one above) as it orbited the giant gas planet. How do they get these things into an orbit around a planet that is moving at amazing velocities millions of miles away in a different direction and speed than we're going?? THEN they send this mini probe off of Cassini, when its in range, to orbit and drop down onto the moon Titan around Saturn! Amazing! We're landing on a moon next to Saturn! This just amazes me. And nobody really thinks much about what we're doing or discovering in Space. It is ground breaking; never done before. We've just discovered Pluto is only one of many dwarf planets that orbit our sun away out there beyond Neptune.

I just had to share my appreciation and amazement of the world of space that is so much larger and unknown than our little world (which we are always discovering more about as well). I love space :).

No comments:

Post a Comment