Monday, October 16, 2006

Truth


The truth in ANY situation is very difficult to discern. What is truth? Pilate asks Jesus. It's a good question. Jesus is the Truth ... that's a simple answer that can mean very little. Except this:

Jesus is God in a body ... and God knows every person (has made every person) and knows everyone who will come to be in the future as well. God knows everyone and He knows everyone at every point of their lives past, present and future all right now. That's incredibly mind blowing. But it also is perfect perspective. Not that I think God needs perspective. But from truth as I am about to explain it, only God really has a handle on the perfect truth in any situation. For one good reason: We're all biased.

When I form a conclusion on a subject, I see every facet of that particular subject through my eyes and my mind and therefore through my worldview. Al McKay, a very wise man that I have had the privilege knowing, pointed out these principles to us. That everything you see and do and say and think all comes from your particular worldview and because it is your worldview, it is biased towards what you know, don't know; what you like and don't like; what you care about and don't care about; what you feel is valuable and not valuable ... etc.. So then, all my conclusions about anything are never truly and purely truth as it truly is. How depressing. Especially for a thinker like me.

For example: when I view two people in an argument I have the benefit of viewing (hearing) both sides of the argument. What his perspective and argument is and what her perspective and argument is. (Lets pretend there is a man and woman involved). Now they both might come to me to tell me their opinions on the subject and I might even be more sympathetic to one over the other (based on my biases) but at least I will have heard objectively what the two sides of the argument are. If I had only heard one side of the argument, I would have a very biased view of what happened. And this is disregarding any right or wrong ... I'm just talking about basic truth stripped of motive and worldview and bias and gender and belief or value system.

So, in essence, only God has all Truth because only He can see every person and every situation stripped of motive and bias, etc.. But I also believe that the more people given to comment or be included on a topic, the more truth of that topic do I find. Because limited to a small number of people, any topic is biased.

But then, I suppose my theory is quite flawed in that there have been masses of people that believed or were lead to believe some very terrible things (i.e.: nazism, etc.).

Hm ... what is truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment