Friday, October 20, 2006

Quitting

Quitting. It's not a verb that is looked highly upon. I have quit a number of things in my life. Most recently was a construction job here in the town of Hope. I worked 9 days. And now I'm done. Why? you ask. Well, the long and the short of it is ... I was miserable doing it. The work itself was less than satisfying. In fact, I was de-satisfied working there. I find no fulfillment or joy in constructing houses. There is the odd good feeling of finally figuring out how to do something after having been told 20 times, but as a whole, this job was not doing wonders for my psyche. My wife can attest. It had nothing to do with my employer or fellow employee. The work was depressing me. I've never really felt that before ... go figure (whatever that means).

I have quit one other job in my life. That was a landscaping job. The employer was not someone that treated or trained me well and I felt that his lack of care was detrimental to my person. So ... see ya!

Also, once, when I was young, I was asked the question by my mother if I wanted to continue playing soccer the next year/soccer season. Given a perfectly open option without persuasion or manipulation I decided, in my own little mind, that I would prefer not to continue playing soccer, but would have rather done something else. WELL. Dad was NOT happy about that. And it seemed other members of my extended family were also upset by my decision (or perhaps the fact that I was given the option of 'quitting'). By the way, here is me at the age of 9. I played on a soccer team for an Abbotsford little soccer league. We came second over all after a shoot out. I had a fantastic time and enjoyed it thoroughly. My Uncle Dale was our coach and I learned a great deal from him.

So why am I giving all this historical nonsense to you ... I'm not sure. But I know that quitting does not make me feel good. It is in my nature as a man to abhore giving up the fight. We're taught as males to fight to the last man and to work hard until the job is done. And I guess I struggle with this action.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:50 a.m.

    Man its ok that you quit...its just a job right? Its not like your life purpose is to be a construction person. It was just a way to make money in my opinion, and being a university graduate, I think you are called to do something that uses your mind a little more. Wish I could give you advice on where to look. If you are interested, check out the government of BC job postings as the government is going into a hiring frenzy in the coming year. Their website is at http://postings.gov.bc.ca/index.html

    ReplyDelete