Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Form and Thought

What if ....

The pastor/priest didn't get paid to minister. What difference would make if we all served each other and there was no renumeration for any one person in community. But we all simply put our share in - out of all we had, to help everyone else. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a pastor or preacher or teacher or encourager, etc.. I'm saying we need them all and we need more of what we all have to offer to be a healthy, vibrant community of faith.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:14 p.m.

    I think the thought is good (don't tell Paul I said that), but I remember Paul saying something about paying people for what they are worth to support one another. I don't think it is a requirement to have a paid pastoral staff, but perhaps it is a strategic thing. Having someone dedicated to the cause can help keep others focussed. However, I also think that it is merely the role of a pastor to "guide the flock" not to be the Christian Swiss Army Knife. Like Jack Duckworth says, a minister is someone who brings out the gifts and strengths of the congregation so that they can do the work God has set out for them. Unfortunately we use a paid minister as an excuse to sit on our lazy bums and do nothing. This is counter to the original purpose of having a full time paid pastor.

    ReplyDelete