Wednesday, August 02, 2006

End of an Era

Kawkawa Staff team summer 2005
21 years ago a 9 year old boy from Mission BC traveled on a bus by himself with a bus load of other children he didn't know to a place he'd never been. It was raining buckets of water at Kawkawa Lake when they arrived. Thankfully his mother had thought ahead and had put all his luggage in black garbage bags and so kept them dry. But his heart was heavy, not knowing anyone or anything and supposedly here to have the best week of his life.
That was me in 1985 at Kawkawa camp sometime in early July. I didn't know it then but it would become a turning point in my life journey on the road to knowing and serving Jesus Christ. My counselor, Slim (Tim Adams), shared from his heart his sincere love and desire for knowing God and Jesus with such genuinity that God's voice was then given the freedom to echo in my heart: 'I want you to follow me like Slim does ...'
Now, a year and 2 months after my beginning as Executive Director of Kawkawa Camp & Retreat I am watching the slow ending of a legacy of God's powerful working in the lives of children and adults alike. 2 days ago I finished my term as Director as the final leader of a mission that began 32 years ago to invite youth into God's loving Kingdom and grace. I feel as though I have been given the monumentous privilege of sharing the import of the moment, that because of God's grace and work here on Kawkawa Lake, I will for ever and always call Jesus my Lord, Saviour, friend, Father and God.
Remember these moments for they come but once and will fade with your memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment