Saturday, July 15, 2006

Fragility

We are such fragile creatures. To think that today I could stub my toe, get hit by a car, suffer from a disease or be emotionally scarred by a friend is frightening by itself. I think I have a very poor sense of the grace and mercy of my God when the possibility of detriment to my person seems so very high. We are just soft fleshly, watery things that are subject to so many stimuli that are potentially harmful. We are fragile. And I think we are made fragile for some very great reasons, though I don't pretend to know them all. And of course, though fragile, we, as humans, have great ability to adapt, respond, change and survive in the reality of our fragility. And yet, the truth of how delicate we are as creatures (in every way) will never leave us.

As an aside, I find it interesting that we think it a show of strength and power to make a fist and threaten someone with it, when in reality, the knuckles of a fist are far softer material than the face or head that they would seek to hit or threaten. More damage is often done to the hand that seeks to do the damage, than the face that receives it. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment