Saturday, March 17, 2007

Position vs. Person

I find it remarkable how great at classifying people we are. And a great majority of our classifying often comes as a result of observing what it is people do. But how is it that we somehow justify our perseptions and observations of a persons character and personality because of what we know they maybe do for a living.

This seems to me to be exceptionally true in evangelical christian churches. Though it's true elsewhere as well. A 'pastor friend' of mine and I were walking into a building one day and we happened to see a few people from the church we go to in the parking lot. One of these persons was smoking. After we had entered the building my 'pastor friend' asked if I had seen what had just happened as we said hello to those people in the parking lot. I said I hadn't. He said 'The one person smoking instincivley ducked down behind the car when she saw me.' And he looked at me and we both laughed. I have seen these people smoking before and they have felt no obligation to hide it from me, but when a 'pastor' sees you, it's somehow worse. Or perhaps Pastors are the morality police? As though wearing that particular title makes them something different than what they are already ... human.

We can't seem to help to do this, can we. We think mathmeticians are dull, construction workers are crude, pastors are 'holier than thou', car sales people are conniving, lawyers are swindlers, doctors are 'all knowing', etc, etc. These are our prejudices. We even pass them onto ourselves! I know that at times when I have taken a particular role or job, I have tried to assume characteristics that I though I ought to have because of the position I carried. But often those characteristics have nothing to do with who I am. Sometimes, especially in christian circles, others try to force us into particular moral molds because of a position of authority we've been given.

Are we purely what we do? I sure hope not.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:31 p.m.

    All of us carry predjudices that we have picked up from our parents, friends, society, etc... I think many of these we can't completely eradicate but it's the recognition of them that is the step in the right direction. Once we recognize them then we can make steps to making sure we don't apply these stereotypes to people.

    Are we what we do? We do spend a great majority of time at work but, as you and I both know, as Christians we define self-identity in Christ alone. Or we should....

    I enjoy reading another's inner wrestlings. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:42 p.m.

    Hi, Tim,

    I really enjoyed reading your latest post. What I am finding is that people tend to 'slot' others quite quickly, and as I get older, I am finding that it bothers me a lot!

    I am turning 50 this year, but inside, I still feel like a goofy 21 year old. I am also finding that I have been teaching for a long time now (23 years!!) but still feel like there is so much that I don't know. I feel 'green,' even though I am a senior teacher in our district.

    So, I am quite horrified when I meet people younger than myself, especially those in their twenties, and they talk to me with that measure of respect and mannerliness that I used when I talked to older people in their wheel chairs and old age homes!

    And, with that respect and mannerliness comes a whole host of prejudiced thoughts, like thinking I might be 'set' in my ways, 'old school' in my thinking, and 'traditional' in my job. I hope that is not the case, but I certainly feel, sometimes, that those values are attached to me, and it drives me quite crazed.

    I would write more, but my three grandchildren beckon!!

    ReplyDelete