Sunday, January 21, 2007

A whole new life

Phew,


Well, life has certainly changed in the Larson household in Hope. With the addition of Griffin to our family there has been no end to the excitement. Having a baby is certainly a change. This little gaffer now demands attention at the most ridiculous hours. My internal clock is completely out of wack. The first few days home have been: sleep two hours. eat one hour. change diaper. console baby after changing diaper. burp baby. change diaper. feed baby. sleep 1 hour. comfort baby for two hours in the middle of the night. change diaper. console baby after changing diaper ....... and so on.
Well, it sounds more mundane than it is. My wife and I are loving Griffin to pieces (not literally). We're seeing signs of his character all the time and of all the things I'm looking forward to, just getting to know who he is is one of the things I desire most.
We've had some pretty crazy pee stories. Ok, so, in the hospital, Kari is changing him in the nursery on his cradle. Right in the middle of things he decides to pee (which, apparently happens quite often). Well he shoots this stream up past my wife and RIGHT into the garbage can!! 3 POINTS!! Then we bring him home. The first three pees: 1 - Kari - pees all over her. 2 - Kari - pees a perfect shot right into his own eye! 3 - Tim - sprays me from shirt to pants despite my vain attempts to stop him. 4 - Kari - while washing his hair before his bath time, Kari wraps him up in a blanket without a diaper on. I'm washing the dishes, watching. Suddenly, Kari complains of water dripping on her sleeve (thinking I did a poor job filling the baby bath tub). Kari screams, realizing Griffin is peeing quite thoroughly and right through the blanket onto her shirt, down her pants and into her slipper! What a shot!
Ok, aside from embarrasing pee stories that my son will not appreciate knowing I posted on the internet later in his life ... this whole experience has had a profound affect on my relationship with my wife. I honestly have fallen more in love with my wife because of this experience. I don't know what it is exactly, but somehow, seeing her with my son who she worked so hard to deliver life, and realizing that he is a beautiful creation made possible through a commitment that we have already given our lives to ... it just has shot my respect and appreciation for this woman I love and know through the roof. I didn't know it was possible. But there you have it.
What a mystery this life is, but how absolutely remarkable. That God would choose to create us in such a way. I'm still a little overwhelmed by the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment