Thursday, April 27, 2006

Questions and degrees of understanding

What, when, where, who and why... The question 'what' can, usually be answered by description through the senses, down to minute detail reaching beyond microscopic or beyond universal. The question 'when' can be calculated to the milisecond thanks to the cronometer. The question of 'where' can be pinpointed with magnifying dependability with geo-technical data, satellite, GPS. The question of 'who' can be determined through forensic science and description of personality and physical characteristics. The question of 'why' will undoubtedly leave you stupified. Why is that?? I can stand in an exact location at a specific time with a particular object in my hand and myself being the person in question ... but when I ask the question 'why' I am lost, for the deeper I attempt at digging for the answer to 'why' the more lost and ignorant I become. Ask any question with 'why' long enough repeatedly and you will, without certain, be unable to answer it. Fascinating. Try any question: why do I fall to the ground when I tip over? because of the law of gravity. Why? Because gravity is the force that holds us to the earth. Why? because ... the earth rotates and somehow celestial bodies have this law in effect ... Why? I don't know. Or, because God made it so.

I would also wager that the question 'who' is far more complicated than answering it with a name. And that, that question is intricately tied to the question 'why'. Who and why cannot be separated. Because 'why' most all would agree has something intrisically in common with 'who'. We (who) cannot be here (where) for no reason (why). Life has meaning. We have life. We have meaning. But we are fighting to understand why.
I am thankful that I find meaning and understanding so deep that I could never possibly comprehend its vastness, in Jesus Christ, my creator and saviour and king. But to say I know the answer to the question 'why' might be a lie. Even in God's love I am lost in trying to understand these questions and am better off in acceptance of the unknown than in mired contemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment